Congressional Art Competition
Each spring, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard sponsors the Kaha Kiʻi Congressional Art Competition, as part of a nation-wide high school arts competition. The Congressional Art Competition is open to all high school students in Hawaiʻi's 2nd Congressional District. The winning artwork is displayed for one year in the U.S. Capitol, along with winning artwork from all participating districts around the country. The winning artwork is also featured on House.gov's Congressional Art Competition page.
The deadline to submit an entry to the 2017 Kaha Kiʻi Congressional Art Competition is March 6, 2017.
The following is a summary of the Congressional Art Competition rules:
All entries must meet the following criteria:
- Be two-dimensional
- Be no larger than 26 inches high, 26 inches wide, and 4 inches thick when matted/framed
- *PLEASE NOTE: These are new dimensions required by the Congressional Institute, and are smaller than previous years.
- Not weigh more than 15 pounds (when matted/framed)
- Be original in concept, design, and execution and may not violate any U.S. copyright laws.
- *PLEASE NOTE: All entries must be original in concept, design and execution and may not violate any U.S. copyright laws. Any entry that has been copied from an existing photo or image (including a painting, graphic, or advertisement) that was created by someone other than the student is a violation of the competition rules and will not be accepted.
- Work entered must be in the original medium, that is, not a scanned reproduction of a painting or drawing.
Acceptable Mediums for the two-dimensional artwork:
- Paintings – oil, acrylics, watercolor, etc.
- Drawings – colored pencil, pencil, ink, marker, charcoal (it is recommended that charcoal and pastel drawings be fixed)
- Collages - must be two dimensional
- Prints - including lithographs, silkscreen, and block prints
- Mixed Media - use of more than two mediums such as pencil, ink, watercolor, etc.
- Computer-generated art
How to submit an entry:
The deadline to submit an entry to the 2017 Kaha Ki'i Congressional Art Competition is March 6, 2017. A digital copy should be emailed to: email@example.com along with the required 2017 Student Release Form.*
Digital Image File Specifications:
- JPG Files: JPG files should be captured by a high-resolution camera.
- Image Size: Each JPG file must be at least 1500 by 2100 pixels
- Image Quality: 300 dpi
- File Size: Each JPG file should be at least 1 megabyte but no greater than 10 megabytes.
- Save File as: CON_Grade_School_Student Last Name_First Name_Media_Title.jpg
*NOTE: The 2017 Student Release Form and links to entry guidelines and information are expected to be available from the Congressional Institute by the end of February. Please check back on this page.
For questions on the 2017 2nd Congressional District Art Competition, please contact Anya Anthony at Anya.Anthony@mail.house.gov or call (808) 541-1986.