Military Academy Nominations
- U.S. Military Academy (USMA), West Point, NY
- U.S. Naval Academy (USNA), Annapolis, MD
- U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA), Colorado Springs, CO
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA), Kings Point, NY.
The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA), New London, CT, does not require a congressional nomination for appointment. Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard may nominate up to ten individuals for each vacant academy slot allotted to Hawaiiʻ's 2nd Congressional district.
The deadline to apply for a 2019-2020 nomination is October 31, 2018.
The nomination application period opens May 15th of each year for those candidates who are high school juniors and will be seniors the following school year, or who have already graduated. Each applicant for a nomination must meet the following eligibility requirements as of July 1st of the year of admission to an academy:
- Age: Be at least 17 years old, but not have passed the 23rd birthday
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen
- Marital Status: Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents
- Residence: Must reside within the boundaries of the 2nd Congressional District of Hawaii.
- Skill / Fitness: Must meet the medical, physical, and academic requirements of the Academy
- Current photo
- Official high school transcript
- American College Testing Program (ACT) results and/or College Board Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) results
- Resume of extracurricular activities and leadership responsibilities
- An essay stating why you want to attend a service academy (500 words or less)
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation.