Local and Federal Resources for Hawai‘i Families Impacted by Natural Disasters

Table of Contents:


Federal Emergency Management Agency (@fema):

Red Cross (@HawaiiRedCross) 

  • Red Cross assists with the immediate and ongoing responses to natural disasters, and provides emergency supplies for individuals and families who have been impacted by disasters, opens shelters in affected communities, and offers related services and supports. More information about the Red Cross’s current work in Hawai‘i can be found online at http://www.redcross.org/Hawaii. You can also call them, here: 808-734-2101.

Hawaii Island Lava Flow:

  • More information about how to prepare for and respond to a volcanic eruption can be found online at https://www.ready.gov/volcanoes or https://www.epa.gov/natural-disasters/volcanoes.
  • Information about vog can be found online at http://www.ivhhn.org/vog/.
  • For non-emergency help on Hawai‘i Island, dial: 808-935-3311.
  • Veterans Affairs Pacific Islands Health Care System’s (VAPIHCS) Hilo Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC) is open and stands ready to provide and support scheduled appointments and walk-ins for veterans. Veterans needing an appointment can call the Toll-Free Call Center at 1 (800) 214-1306.

A fact sheet on FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program (IHP) is available here. Individuals in Hawaiʻi County can register with FEMA the following ways:

  • Apply online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov
  • Constituents may call the registration phone number at 1-800-621-3362; those who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY, should call 1-800-462-7585 directly; for those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362

Kauai/Oahu Floods:

  • More information about how to prepare for and respond to floods can be found online, here: https://www.ready.gov/floods; also, here: https://www.epa.gov/natural-disasters/flooding.
  • For non-emergency help on Kaua‘i, dial: 808-241-1711.
  • For non-emergency help on O’ahu, dial: 808-529-3111.
  • Lastly, National Flood Insurance Program policyholders may call 1-800-621-3362 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. (CDT) for general information, servicing of claims, or technical assistance.

Disaster Distress Helplines:

  • The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s Disaster Distress Helpline provides 24/7, 365-day-a-year crisis counseling and support to people experiencing emotional distress related to natural or human-caused disasters.
  • The Disaster Distress Helpline is a national hotline dedicated to providing immediate crisis counseling for people who are experiencing emotional distress related to any natural or human-caused disaster. This toll-free, multilingual, and confidential crisis support service is available to all residents in the United States and its territories. Call (800) 985-5990, TTY (800) 846-8517 or text TalkWithUs to 66746 to connect with a trained crisis counselor (Spanish-speakers text: Hablanos to 66746).
  • Crisis Line of Hawai‘i is available for anyone experiencing a mental health crisis 24/7 – neighbor island residents call 1-800-753-6879; Oahu residents call 832-3100.


Replacing Lost or Damaged Documents:

Electronic Benefit Transfer Cards (SNAP/TANF): More information about EBT cards, including information about how to replace lost or damaged cards, can be found online at http://humanservices.hawaii.gov/bessd/snap/ebt/. You can also call the Hawai‘i Department of Human Services, here: 888-328-4292. (EBT benefits can also be accessed online at https://www.ebtaccount.jpmorgan.com/chp).

  • North Kauai residents who lost their EBT cards in the flood can visit the Hawai‘i State Department of Human Services (DHS) Kaua‘i Processing Center at the Former Lihue Courthouse Building (3059 Umi Street, Room A110 / Lihue, Kauai 96819). You can also call the processing center, here: 808-274-3371.
  • East Hawaii residents who lost their EBT cards due to the lava flow can visit the Hawai‘i State DHS South Hilo Processing Center at the Kinoole Plaza (1990 Kinoole Street #108 / Hilo, Hawaii 96720). You can also call the processing center, here: 808-981-2754.

Green Cards: USCIS will assist those directly affected by an emergency situation with the replacement of any USCIS issued document as quickly as possible.  Requests for scheduling/re-scheduling of InfoPass and other interview appointments in Honolulu will also be accommodated.  Such requests should include an explanation of the circumstances and any supporting evidence, such as copies of government issued evacuation notices, etc. Additional information is available on the USCIS website at https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/replace-green-card. You can also call them, here: 800-375-5283.

  • Hawai‘i Island residents can also call the County of Hawai‘i Immigration Office, at: 808-961-8220. To meet with a representative at the USCIS Honolulu Field Office, make an INFOPASS appointment online at https://my.uscis.gov/appointment.

Birth, Death, Civil Union, Marriage, and Divorce Certificates: The Hawai‘i State Department of Health can provide more information about how to replace lost or damaged certificates http://health.hawaii.gov/vitalrecords or https://vitrec.ehawaii.gov/vitalrecords/. You can also call them at 808-586-4539.

Driver's Licenses: County specific information about replacing drivers’ licenses can be found on the following websites:

Credit Cards: Contact your issuing institution: American Express (800-992-3404), Discover (800-347-2683), MasterCard (800-622-7747), or Visa (800-847-2911).

Credit Reports: Contact Equifax, Experian, or Transunion at 877-322-8228 or visit http://www.annualcreditreport.com/

Fraud Alerts or a Credit Freeze: Call 877-438-4338 or click here.

Social Security Card: Call 800-772-1213 or click here.

  • Hawai‘i Island residents can also visit the Hilo Social Security office at Prince Kunio Plaza (111 East Puainako Street), or use the Social Security Administration’s Video Delivery Service at the West Hawaii Civic Center (74-5044 Ane Keohokalole Highway / Kailua-Kona, Hawaii 96740) on the second and fourth Thursday of each month, between 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.

Medicare Cards: Call 800-772-1213 or click here.

Passport: Call 202-955-0430 or 877-487-2778 or click here.

U.S. Savings Bonds: Call 800-722-2678 or 800-553-2663 or click here.

Federal Tax Returns: Call 800-829-1040 or click here. To make an appointment with the IRS’s Tax Payer Assistance Center in Hilo, call: 844-545-5640. To contact the IRS Taxpayer Advocate’s Office in Honolulu, call: 808-566-2950.

Military Service Records: Call 866-272-6272 or click here.

Replacing Business Documents:


Small Business Assistance

  • ​The Small Business Administration (SBA) offers federal low-interest disaster loans to businesses of all sizes, most private nonprofit organizations, homeowners and renters.
  • Businesses of any size may borrow up to $2 million to repair/replace disaster property damage.
  • Small businesses, small businesses engaged in aquaculture and most private nonprofit organizations may also borrow to help meet disaster caused working capital needs. The $2 million maximum applies to the combination of property damage and working capital loans.
  • If you are a homeowner or renter, FEMA may refer you to SBA. SBA disaster loans are the primary source of money to pay for repair or replacement costs not fully covered by insurance or other compensation.
  • Homeowners may borrow up to $200,000 to repair or replace their primary residence.
  • Homeowners and renters may borrow up to $40,000 to replace personal property, including vehicles.

For more information about SBA Disaster Loans, click here

What You Need to Do:

  • Register with FEMA at www.disasterassistance.gov. This is the fastest way to register for help.
  • SBA advises that homeowners and renters should submit their SBA disaster loan application, even if they are not
    sure if they will need or want a loan. If SBA cannot approve your application, in most cases, SBA can
    refer you to FEMA’s Other Needs Assistance (ONA) program for possible additional assistance.

How to Apply to SBA

  • Apply online using SBA’s secure website at https://disasterloan.sba.gov/ela.
  • Apply in person at any Disaster Recovery Center and receive personal, one-on-one help from an SBA representative. For additional information or to find a location near you, visit our website at www.sba.gov/disaster, call SBA at (800) 659-2955 or email disastercustomerservice@sba.gov. Individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing may call (800) 877-8339.
  • Apply by mail: Send completed paper application to U.S. Small Business Administration, Processing and Disbursement Center, 14925 Kingsport Road, Fort Worth, TX 76155.

Office Locations